City Offices Closed - Independence Day
June 21, 2018
All City of Bedford Offices will be closed on Wednesday, July 4th, in observance of Independence Day.
TASC buses will not be running.
All Wednesday trash routes will be picked up on Saturday, July 7th.
Special Assistance/Rear Loader routes will be picked up Tuesday, July 3rd.
Recycle/Compost pickups will be on Thursday, July 5th.
BUILDING A BETTER BEDFORD WEEKLY UPDATE-JUNE 15, 2018
June 15, 2018
BUILDING A BETTER BEDFORD WEEKLY UPDATE, JUNE 15TH, 2018
STELLAR STREETSCAPE, LIMESTONE TRAIL CONNECTOR, AND FACADE RENOVATION PROJECTS; AND
JOHN WILLIAMS BLVD/LINCOLN AVENUE ROUNDABOUT PROJECT
Contact: Marla Jones Dan Kirk
Director of Business & Community Development Street Commissioner
(812) 275-1601 (812) 275-1631
STELLAR DOWNTOWN STREETSCAPE PROJECT
Construction is underway to update the streetscape in downtown Bedford. Below is a list of activities that we anticipate happening over the next week. A weekly update will be distributed during the remainder of the streetscape construction.
Last week’s progress:
• Continued demolition and removal on the East half of 16th Street.
• Continued placing subgrade treatment and pouring sidewalk on the east half of 15th Street from I Street to J Street.
• Finished placing edge treatment walls on the East half of 15th Street, and placed backfill along 15th Street.
• Masonic Temple Basement:
o Work on the basement is nearly complete. Some backfilling remains, but this will progress as the project continues to place backfill in the area around the edge treatment walls.
• Began pouring curb and gutter on the east half of 15th Street from I Street towards J Street.
What to expect June 18th thru June 23rd:
• Continue demolition and removal on the east half of 16th Street from I Street to J Street.
• Open the SE corner of 16th Street and I Street (Chase Bank) to pedestrian access.
• 15th Street (East Half):
o Place brick pavers in the ramp at the NW corner of 15th Street and I Street.
o Continue pouring sidewalk and curb along the east half of 15th Street from I Street towards J Street.
o Continue backfilling behind edge treatment walls and placing subgrade on the east half of 15th Street from I Street towards J Street.
• 16th Street (East Half):
o Finish removals along.
o Begin excavating for edge treatment foundations.
NOTE: Weather could affect some work activities and could cause delays.
• On the south side of 16th Street from J Street to I Street:
o Pedestrian access via ramps have been restored, but some stairs remain closed for public safety, due to a lack of handrail.
o All ramps on west half are open to pedestrian access.
• On the north side of 15th Street from J Street to I Street:
o Access to businesses on the west half of the block from J Street to the Masonic Temple can be obtained via the existing sidewalk.
o Access to the Masonic Temple and business within have access via a temporary pedestrian bridge on the west corner of the building.
o Access to businesses on the east half of the block from I Street to the Christmas Store can be obtained via new concrete sidewalk. Access is obtained off of I Street.
• There will be no parking on the east half of 16th Street during construction of the east half of the block.
• There will be no parking on the east half of 15th Street during construction of the east half of the block.
• Eastbound US 50 (16th Street) and Westbound US 50 (15th Street) – The right lane will be closed from 7:00 AM to 4:30 PM - MONDAY thru SATURDAY during construction.
• For 16th Street the lane closure configuration will start immediately west of J Street and continue through to the middle of the block between I Street and J Street.
• For 15th Street the lane closure configuration will start immediately east of I Street and continue through to the middle of the block between I Street and J Street.
NOTE: (HANDRAIL STATUS)
• Submittals have been completed by the manufacturer. The revised quote for the decorative railing is being processed.
STELLAR LIMESTONE TRAIL CONNECTOR PROJECT
Construction is underway on the Limestone Connector, connecting the Milwaukee Trail at 10th Street to the Downtown Streetscape & Courthouse Square via Lincoln Avenue/L Street, 14th Street & 17th Street. Below is a list of activities that we anticipate happening over the next week. A weekly update will be distributed during the remainder of the Limestone Trail construction.
NOTE: Work hours are 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday – Saturday
Last week’s progress:
• Install new storm sewer on Lincoln Avenue from 14th Street to 12th Street and tied in property drains.
• Continued pouring new sidewalk/Trail from 10th Street towards 12th Street.
• Placed concrete curb from 10th Street to 12th Street.
• Crew placed subgrade under all sidewalk and drives from 12th Street to 14th Street.
• Continued removals on 17th Street from L Street to K Street.
• Began removals on the west side of Lincoln Avenue from 13th Street towards 14th Street.
What to expect the week of June 18th thru June 23rd:
NOTE: Weather could affect and delay construction activities.
• The new sidewalk on the south side of 14th Street is open to pedestrians. The remaining work will be performed later in the summer.
• The sidewalk on the north side of 17th Street is closed from L Street to K Street. The contractor has maintained access to thru foot traffic along the south side of 17th Street.
• NAPA store on 17th Street access will be maintained. Drive access off of 17th Street is currently open.
• The sidewalk on the west side of Lincoln Avenue from 10th Street to 14th Street is closed. Pedestrian access will be maintained via the sidewalk on the east side of Lincoln Avenue from 10th Street to 14th Street.
• The southbound lane of Lincoln Avenue from 14th Street to 10th Street will be restricted down to 10ft lanes during construction. Local traffic will be maintained.
• A Lane Shift is in place on L Street at 14th Street to facilitate construction.
• NOTE: As a part of the Round-a-Bout project on Lincoln Avenue at John Williams Boulevard:
o Lincoln Avenue will have local access only from 10th Street to 14th Street.
o Lincoln Avenue will remain closed north of 9th Street for the construction of the Lincoln Avenue/John Williams Boulevard Roundabout.
o The contractor plans to utilize this closure to help facilitate construction of the Limestone Connector Trail within the closure area. Access to properties/businesses will be maintained.
• Road Closure at 17th Street and K Street
o Milestone Contractors has requested to close the intersection of 17th Street and K Street in order to facilitate the installation of the storm sewer at said location. Work that will be performed includes the installation of 6 inlets, 1 manhole and a structure will be set in the middle of 17th Street to tie into the existing storm sewer trough.
o The closure time frame will be from Tuesday, June 19, 2018 and will be re-opened by close of business on Thursday, 28 June 2018.
o By closing the entire intersection, we will be able to expedite the installation of the storm sewer allowing normal traffic patterns prior to Bedford July 4th holiday activities beginning the evening of June 28th.
o The closure configuration will consists of barricades, in a staggered pattern on;
17th Street at L Street
17th Street at J Street
K Street at 16th Street
K Street at 18th Street
o There will be a hard closure at all four sides of the intersection of 17th Street & K Street to cordon off the work area.
o Local access to business/residence will be maintained, however, there will be no thru traffic during the closure period.
STELLAR FAÇADE RENOVATION PROJECT
Construction is underway for the Stellar Community Facades Renovation Project. Below is a list of activities we anticipate happening next week. A weekly update will be distributed during the remainder of the Façades Renovation construction project.
Last Week’s Progress- June 8th to June 14th:
• Continued painting at 1536 I Street
• Worked on storefront at 1016 16th Street
• Washed limestone at 1536 I Street
What to expect the week of June 15th thru June 23rd
• Continue painting at 1536 I Street
• Continue work on storefront at 1016 16th Street
JOHN WILLIAMS BOULEVARD/LINCOLN AVENUE ROUNDABOUT PROJECT
Construction is underway for the John Williams Boulevard/Lincoln Avenue Roundabout. Below
is a list of activities that we anticipate happening over the next week. A weekly update will be distributed during the
remainder of the construction project.
Last Week’s Progress:
• Rain prevented paving of asphalt
• Began sidewalk
What to expect the week of June 18th thru June 23rd
• Begin one lift of asphalt on entire roundabout on Tuesday
• Start sidewalks after Tuesday
If you would like to be added to the Building A Better Bedford Weekly Updates list serve, please send your email address to
Debbi Andry at firstname.lastname@example.org.
BEDFORD CITY OFFICES CLOSED IN OBSERVANCE OF MEMORIAL DAY
May 15, 2018
All City of Bedford Offices will be closed on Monday, May 28th, 2018 in observance of Memorial Day.
TASC buses will not be running.
All Monday trash routes will be picked up Saturday, May 26th.
Compost will be picked up Tuesday, May 29th.
City of Bedford Board of Works and Safety
May 01, 2018
The Board of Works And Safety Will Hold Their Regular Meeting On Monday, May 21st At 4:00 PM In The City Hall Mark E. Scherschel Sr. Council Chambers.
Redevelopment Commission Meeting
May 01, 2018
The Bedford Redevelopment Commission Will Hold Their Meeting On Monday, May 14th At 4:00 PM In The City Hall Mark E. Scherschel Sr. Council Chambers.
CITY OF BEDFORD COUNCIL MEETING
May 01, 2018
Due To The Closing Of Bedford City Offices On Election Day, Tuesday, May 8th, The Bedford City Council Meeting Will Be Held On Wednesday, May 9th at 7:00 PM In The City Hall Mark E. Scherschel Sr. Council Chambers.
Bedford City Offices Closed- Primary Election Day
May 01, 2018
All City of Bedford Offices will be closed on Election Day, Tuesday, May 8th, 2018.
TASC buses will be running as regularly scheduled.
All Tuesday trash routes will be picked up as regularly scheduled.
Recycle/Compost will be picked up Wednesday, May 9th.
TO VOTE: CITIZENS WHO NEED A RIDE TO THE POLLS MAY CONTACT TASC AT 275-1633 BETWEEN THE HOURS OF 8:00 AM TO 4:0 0 PM.